Monday, June 16, 2008

Father's day surprise

Well , it wasn't really a celebrated father's day as I was on call on Sunday. What a way to start the day with a wound debridement and SSG case from ICU ; for a patient who had >50% burn ! The best thing about it was the surgeon was keen to settle everything! Imagine , both upper limbs and lower limbs on 1st degree burn ; and the face as well. we had some crappy femoral line , with an arterial line on its opposite. Luckily somebody inserted the subclavian CVL earlier. We were initially asked to remove the lines on the femoral site .. hm..like HELLO ??? Don't think there was any more IV access. And to start off the case with its known mortality of more than 80% is a big demotivating factor. Obviously the patient bled like hell... lost one blood volume as the op took like >6 hours !! Fuiiyooo....

And we just had to have a spine case to do as well ! It was a 17 year old who just had an MVA earlier in the morning. He had a fracture dislocation at T3-T4 level and was paralyzed. Luckily I read the CT report and enquired the Ortho MO whether he realized the c6 - c7 fracture. Hehehehe.. and of course, it was my try to intubate the patient using the fibreoptic scope. It was my second time doing it and my lecturer was kind enough to let me have a go. The patient was very co-operative and I sort of inserted my scope straight to the carina !! Hahaha.. but of course, as neither of us was that experience we were not sure. I pulled it out and ooppss.. yes , i was in . and reinserted it and the the ETT. At this moment the patient panicked because he felt something blocking his throat ! We pushed in the tube and Wallah.. airway secured . The surgeons did have a difficult time settling that case , and we finished at 10pm after starting at 4 pm... Perrgghh...
***************************************
My abstract was accepted by the Academy of Medicine to be in the poster presentation for the coming National Intensive Care Conference ! Hehehehe.. Alhamdulillah , puas hati babe. but then , i need to sort out on how to print out my poster which I have no idea at all how to at the moment..
I need to sort out as well my Indon currency and stuffs to bring.. hehehe For what you may ask this Indon thingy ? Well.. that will be another blog entry to tell..
Gimme 5 !!!

2 comments:

Azad said...

Mak ai, Horror Hand! I sure hope it didn't crawl around the hospital.

mafiz said...

"DO YOU NEED A HAND?" hahahahah