Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Stranded in Dushanbe

As I've mentioned before, we did not really know at that time whether we could exit Afghanistan. The possibility of being stranded in Khost for months was possible. Yes there was a new government but the issue was how the government operations would run was still in the unknown. Until now it is still not clear with various teething issues still unresolved. Memang kena start buat buku How to run a country after takeover 101 I suppose haha
Anyway, our exit plan was informed only 24hours before we left. Most of us would only be convinced when we are really out of the country! I have to pity my colleagues who has been stranded since 15th of August! And we arrived in Dushanbe at night on the 8th of September. Perhaps I will share later my experience when we were in Mazar-I-Sharif airport! It was really interesting haha
There we were in Dushanbe and because of the unconfirmed and unreliable possibility, we were not booked for any flight out of Dushanbe before our arrival. Flights were scarce and also full. Hence it was unly a week after that most of us were scheduled to fly back to our own countries. 1 week here? What could I do? Well to be honest, the hiking trails and countryside was tempting. In any other time I would have grabbed the opportunity to do so. Unfortunately, its covid era. Eventhough most of the people in Dushanbe claim that it is not there anymore (with their liberal stance of not making it compulsory to wear masks) I was not willing to risk that. Imagine, pergi jalan-jalan and when the PCR test taken before the date of departure, it is positive! Nightmare tu hahaha
Hence it was only in this central town that I move about until I can be a tourist guide lah haha Its a nice city as it was obvious what the Soviets did to build up its town. Large parks with beautiful fountains all around and from what I saw a thriving city in central Asia. We were lucky that when we arrived it was independence day in Dushanbe! Hence their 30th celebration and spectacular fireworks on the night! 2-3 hari cukuplah.. But 1 whole week? haha That was the start of my mental torture! But I am thankful that somehow I was given this opportunity to travel when everybody else was at home due to Covid19.

No comments: