Saturday, September 11, 2021

The real last day

8 September was my last day in the land of the Afghans. After multiple cancellations of movement, this was the day that we were told the evening before of our possible movement. Having gone through few disappointments, I tried not to be to optimistic and did not really inform anybody about the possible movement.
And yes, we were to be moved by 1pm and it became surreal. My heart was pounding both on the still uncertainty as well as the sadness of leaving this setup I have been in the past 2 months. Our movement to the airport was smooth and still I was pessimistic that the plane may not arrive!

When the time came, it was such a relief but we knew that unless we were off from the next airport, then only can we feel we are safely out. Things that came about internationally in that past 24 hours certainly did not offer much hope for the smooth movement!
Alhamdulillah, we arrived in Dushanbe circa 730pm (airport ni pun satu hal, buka malam je! hahaha )

And then only, it sunk in. My mission in Afghanistan is over.. for now. 

No comments: