Friday, July 14, 2006

Emergency Department UMMC


kawan baik.. Posted by Picasa

Honestly , if you or your relatives are in an urgent dire-straits need of medical attention , Do not go to UMMC . I repeat.. DO NOT.. The best ? HKL.. you'll get your optimum , trained and of the highest consultation emergency care there... Only dire straits emergency yeah... please take note of that..

I was posted today in A&E . I was a replacement for a colleague who had to take MC . I guess with the amount of stress you have in ED here , its such a havoc job. Now i can understand why there are so many negative comments about the department. Its a classic example of first class facility but with THIRD CLASS mentality. If you drive along University road , one will be impress with the infrastructure ; so called DATARAN TRAUMA but inside.. Masya Allah... Ultimate chaos and i was in it this morning.

It's not as glamorous as ER or House where you have a team to work with, to discuss and to ensure the best medical care.I was in the YELLOW ZONE or fondly known as the ACM ( Acute Medical Care ) unit. Usually , us Anaesthetist will be in the RED ZONE area ; for emergency resuscitation but somehow i was pulled to do the yellow zone.

I was so surprised to find out that i was the only doctor in that area for today. Patients were non stop ; having problems ranging from Asthma to chest pain as well as severe abdominal pain. And i had to see and try to give my best care and consultation to each and everyone. Having to handle a 20 bedded emergency unit ALONE is not one's cup of tea. I was smirking caustically from the beginning to the end and my adrenaline was on its rush the whole day !! Obviously , my consultation was very sub optimal as i had to make fast decisions on what to do.. and i had no superior to consult . Damn man.. It was just about settling the immediate problem and at the same time glancing on the next patient.

The staff was wonderful and everybody worked to the best of their ability.Its just that we don't have enough staff .. apa lagi doctors !! Some patients who were not so urgent had to wait on their beds for quite some time. I just pity them but i tried my best to cater everybody's needs. Its just the bad HR planning by this department and imagine having a stand in doctor to be the main gatekeeper of the hospital for the whole day.Imagine , me the Anaesthesia MO with my limited year of experience ,untrained trying to manage the YELLOW ZONE of A&E alone.. I'm not trained to triage and fast diagnose.. Its not my major field and it is very UNFAIR to the patients !! The planning is really bad and from what i heard.. this has been the trend for years.. and nothing has changed. Everybody just HANTAM SAJALAH...

The last time I worked my ass off was as a houseman in P2. It really brought me the rush and memories of being so busy that you lose track of your time. Tau-tau jer.. from 8am.. dah pukul 2.. Damn.. and there were still patients coming in for treatment.The staff nurse had to stop me and forced me to take lunch in the pantry as she saw how i was literally on my toes since morning. Thank you S/N !!

Somehow , i enjoyed my experience today. ( Am I a masochist ??? pain is pleasure !! )However , I cannot imagine doing it day in day out.. gile mental stress !!!

Anyway , as I was about to leave , I saw a patient who was struggling while blood taking by my PM colleague. It was definitely a scene as she was screaming fretfully !!! Haks.. patut pun macam kenal . Guess who ? It was our dear SMTTDI English teacher , Cikgu Rohana. ( once , she was Ustaz's nemesis ; remember ?? ) . Of course she recognized me ; and the first thing she said was..

" Alamak !! Anak murid cikgu ke.. dah berapa lama jadik doktor ??!! Mafeitzeral.. Don't tell anybody in school about me in here today !! Malu lah cikgu !! " . Hahahaha..I just laughed and calmed her down.

My colleague failed in her attempts to take blood as she was a "difficult" patient. She has phobia with blood taking maybe because of her past experience . She was hyperventilating and very panicky !! I managed to take her required blood after such "high drama"!! I quickly wish her get well soon as she was pushed up to the ward.

Well.. that made my day.. *smile*