Friday, May 05, 2017

Historical March 2017 - Tale of two specialties

Alhamdulillah, March has been very kind to us. We have crossed boundaries and leaps towards our brand namesake. I am very happy to have been involved in these two milestones that we have achieved here in Medini. Bearing the name Gleneagles, this is what we can comfortably fulfill our potential. It is not an easy feat but I guess when we do it for patient's sake, god will help us achieve it ho help more people. 

Honestly, I am blessed to have dedicated and enthusiastic people to work with. I know what they want to achieve therefore that is my role as the team player. I may not bear the glorious end as the surgeon in charge, but as the anaesthetist who ensures what feels impossible to be a reality

Awake Craniotomy

When i was approached by my neurosurgeon about the possibility of doing it, I told myself Why not? By principle it is a simple thing to do. Its the precaution and anticipation that will make a difference whether it becomes successful or you have to abandon the initial plan.

The challenge for me was for the awake-awake-awake procedure! Wow, thats an uphill task but of course not impossible.

Important VIP points:

1. Patient must be counselled properly and understand every detail of the procedure. They must be fully motivated for this procedure.
2.Regional anaesthesia skill for the scalp block. This must be superly perfect.
3.If patient throws a fit during the procedure, there must be a solid plan for airway protection.

I did my research by lookingthrough the literature and case reports written by colleagues in Malaysia. MOst of them were more comfortable with sleep-awake-sleep method so i suppose what I was going to do is pioneer "ish". I was lucky as the surgeon adopted a position which was convenient for possible problems if it arises.

Alhamdulillah, the good teamwork with had made this procedure successful with good outcome.

CABG

This was the marker of a tertiary hospital. It has always been its KPI since the start and after 1 year and 3 months, i present to you CABG.

The preparation was immense. 80% of my OT staff had never seen one before. We had a thorough preparation from the nurses to the PCAs. What i value most was their eagerness to learn and cross that boundary. My surgeons are both renowned in CTS and certainly the 2 Cardiothoracic surgeons that you want to work with.

When the day came it was goosebumps all over. I started UiTM's first and now its Gleneagles Medini. The profile of our first patient honestly may not be the typical first case you want to operate on. But then again, with cardiologists being more daring than before, one cannot expect CABG cases now without a challenge.

Alhammdulillah again, it went smooth and well.

And till date,  we have done 3.

Image may contain: 15 people, people smiling, people standing and hat

No comments: