Saturday, August 26, 2006

Spy me spy you

Come 31st August 2006 ,Malaysia will celebrate its 49th birthday as a free nation. We've grown to build our own identity from an unknown british colony into a reputable state. We've thrived well so far on the social contract agreed by our founding fathers. We boast to the world how we achieve integration and living in harmony by this formula.

Obviously , nothing is perfect. They've been glitches here and there through out the years. Unfortunately , our dream in achieving a "true" united nation is not becoming as real as we want it to be. On paper , we have the best idea and the plan has always been jotted down utopicly.Uniting different races coming from different backgrounds is a difficult job. Integrating history and culture needs time and it does not help when we try to put ourselves superior compared to the other.

It is a fact that on face value , we say that we are a single entity ; as Malaysians. It becomes hypocritical during the general election ; politicians either government or opposition mess it up during their mass campaign in gaining support.Race for race will ensure votes not forging unity ! That is the reality ! At the end of the day , it will be about gaining votes to claim power. The real issue will dissolve . We tend to ignore this but that is what our 49 years of independence is about. Suspiciousness of what we do to each other is being grilled into our heads since we are young.

Imagine putting religion righteous into the equation. THis is another dangerous area to meddle with. Religious issues evoke high emotions and fracas tend to burst easily. Each religion preaches on how they are the one for the here after. We try to protect this in our constitution but laws made by man are meant to be broken. The verdict of the ongoing Lina Joy's case will be dentrimental no matter which way it goes. We talk about justice and freedom to exercise our own rights but what benefit will it bring to our aim as Malaysia ?

Survival will always be human's main interest. It is why we are here in this world.

I would not blame KJ for uttering how when the malays are weak , others may take the opportunity to stake their claim. We do it to them , therefore why shouldn't they do it to us ? It is the core of our politics.KJ maybe a highly scholar but he's now living in Malaysia and that is how it goes. I'm sure that in the future ; when the opposing side touches this issue , it will be highlighted out of proportion as the war just started. Its the same all over the world , democracy is just another mask to ascertain one's will to rule. A clever political tool which uses logic to justify their actions.

I hope I don't sound stupid writing in english but I'm worried on where we are heading now.The Malay Dilemna part deux is streaming actively in UMNO and the split this time may ruin the country by its domino effect. The world is becoming more dangerous and internal squabblings like this are music to the ears of those who seize open opportunities.

Happy Birthday Malaysia..

4 comments:

John Lee said...

I don't think the social contract is valid (or ought to be valid) any more. It causes too much disenchantment amongst those who think of themselves as Malaysian, but are in the eyes of many (especially those in power), kaum pendatang. I think I'll celebrate Merdeka in my own way.

shark said...

I am a third generation Indian in Malaysia. My great gandfathers left india for a better life and they found it here. This country is not perfect, the NEP is not perfect, the meritrocracy is not perfect but I love this country. Its been good to me and family. I have a steady job with the government and my family is comfortable thanks to the government and the people of this country. I can freely practise my religion, customs and language, No other country treats its 'kaum pendatang' so well. I am proud to be Malaysian and will die for this country. I hope for everybody's sake, the minor problems in UMNO resolve. I hate to see certain opposition groups come into power. politics and religion can never mix, the europeans tried in in medievel times. and there is justice in our country, no need to throw molotov cocktails at the cops to ask for it.

shark said...

I am a third generation Indian in Malaysia. My great gandfathers left india for a better life and they found it here. This country is not perfect, the NEP is not perfect, the meritrocracy is not perfect but I love this country. Its been good to me and family. I have a steady job with the government and my family is comfortable thanks to the government and the people of this country. I can freely practise my religion, customs and language, No other country treats its 'kaum pendatang' so well. I am proud to be Malaysian and will die for this country. I hope for everybody's sake, the minor problems in UMNO resolve. I hate to see certain opposition groups come into power. politics and religion can never mix, the europeans tried in in medievel times. and there is justice in our country, no need to throw molotov cocktails at the cops to ask for it. Happy merdeka day to all malaysians

mafeitz said...

johnleemK : you have serious issues...

devan : it is good to know how some people can appreciate what we have here in Malaysia. Salam merdeka to you too..