Friday, November 03, 2006

maternity period


tvroom Posted by Picasa

Did my first obstetrics call in UMMC last night. Alhamdulillah , it was a cold call as I only had 3 Caesareans and 3 epidurals to do in the last 24 hours. I was ready for a busy call as those on call last week had a torrid time. It is not as bad as how my previous posted colleagues described . Maybe I am a bit biased as I was initially trained in Maternity Hospital , HKL.Anyway , the number of beds here is far less than the sardine packed wards we have there. It makes me wonder whether the house officers here are trained well enough to face the real world. We need competent doctors and not slackers who would prefer to sleep off the night than treating patients. That is the path we have pledged to thread on !

The one negative thing about this obs call is our on call room near the labour room. Absolute 3rd class ;air cond is out.. the linens unchanged , smelly room ; basically crap maintainence. What makes it worse now is the toilet is spoilt and there was no effort by the labour room management to fix it. Mana boleh ?? I ended up sleeping in the common room ( tv room ) on the couch which was not that comfortable .

The day started off alarmingly potential "jonah" day by having a cord prolapse case.Having the OnG team to go panic did not help at all. As they transfered the patient to the OT bed , they managed to dislodge my IV access which was vital for me to proceed in the first place. Calmness should be the main skill to attain here to ensure smooth operation. The lady was obese and regional anaesthesia was not a choice ! I manage to intubate her eventhough i could not view her vocal cords properly.. Alhamdulillah the baby was well and I did not have much problem with my intraoperative anaesthesia.

Then it cooled down - my epidurals were successful as all my patients delivered vaginally. Ok lah tu for my first call in this posting !!

sleepy head Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

eh, so Grey's Anatomy showed the rooms with double decker and doctors making out are all fake la?

mafeitz said...

biar pecah di perut..jangan pecah di mulut !! hahahha

Anonymous said...

Dr.M - seriously???? hehehehe...