Friday, December 29, 2006

Last call of the year


bloody..and getting bloodier.. Posted by Picasa

SO knackered !!! I had a very busy call last night , well second half of the day that is. It was cool as a cucumber during the day , but I had a busy labour ward last night. Inserted 10 epidurals one after another until about 3 am. Had few more referrals but when i got to them , they were almost fully dilated thus no need for me to proceed.

The labour ward room staff called me the "special one" as most of my epidurals went into spontaneous labour.Most of those referred to me was not progressing well , thus the need to reduce pain as they are inducing them aggressively with synthetic contraction stimulus. Most who were KIV and not thought to progress delivered vaginally after my epidural !! Hahaha.. easier job for me as no caesarean to do !

However , this was not so at 4am. I was about to close my eyes when they posted a case for fetal distress and mother distress !!! Just had to top up her epidural and the operation was on its way. Unfortunately , she bled really bad - continuously. I was thankful that i insisted on another IV access before we start as the one available was totally crap. She bled up to 2 L and luckily I managed to catch on the lost volume. Had SHahnaz with me and he waited till the bleeding was secured ; anticipating any possibility having to intubate her ; which looked not an easy one to do !!

I was very groggy in the morning and having to follow the ICU rounds made it worse. I will be doing my on call again on Tuesday and I am a bit worried as I will beo n my own. Imagine , UMMC ICU - on a public holiday will depend their lives on me !!

No comments: