Friday, August 14, 2015

Costochondritis la pulak

I had a bad knock on my chest during Futsal last week.I was floored and had difficulty to take in deep breathes then. Thus resulting me having intermittent chest pain til now.. haha no worries! bukan MI ek.. but this thingy called costochondritis.
I can tell you that the pain is significant! U'd feel pain upon taking deep breaths. What makes it limiting is when you want to laugh hard and sneeze! Maak ai..sakt woo.. 

Costochondritis (kos-toe-kon-DRY-tis) is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects a rib to the breastbone (sternum). Pain caused by costochondritis might mimic that of a heart attack or other heart conditions.
Costochondritis is sometimes known as chest wall pain, costosternal syndrome or costosternal chondrodynia. Sometimes, swelling accompanies the pain (Tietze syndrome).
Costochondritis usually has no apparent cause. Treatment focuses on easing your pain while you wait for the condition to improve on its own, which can take several weeks or longer.
Costochondritis usually goes away on its own, although it might last for several weeks or longer. Treatment focuses on pain relief.

I used to get patients during my medical days patient whose results were all negative for heart issues and we would spell out to them the diagnosis as costochondritis. Some came without any precipitating factor as compared to mine which was a trauma blow. Apparently it can take up to 6 weeks for it to really heal and not feel the pain. 
Waahh... 6 weeks! haha Apparently it did not stop me to play futsal again yesterday. Reaffirming myself that it is not ischaemic heart disease as I managed to exert myself without having obvious chest pain.
However, during the night.. waah, of course i made it recur and it was more painful than before! Hahaha Sendiri cari pasal, sendiri mau ingat.

No comments: