Sunday, October 29, 2006

Visiting period



I;ve always enjoyed raya because i like to go "raya" ! It is a traditional malay culture which was cultivated in me when i was young. In Johor , the raya celebration has always been elaborate. Everybody will have new clothes and new decorations at home even though they cannot really afford it. It is a conscious effort come Syawal every year.Nowadays , especially amongst KLiltes , it is not obvious anymore.A calculated "open house" is more appropriate in order to plan one's hectic schedule. We rarely visit each other at home during normal days ; maybe during Syawal period it becomes an excuse to continue this culture.

After prayers in Muar , we would begin by visiting all my close grand uncles and aunties as a group. It was fun going from atuk rumah "air hijau" to atuk "halwa". It was nice to meet all your relatives eventhough i don't really know most of them.I would plead my father who would prefer to spend his time sleeping to go out and see people !

Most of my grand uncle and aunties had passed away. Only tok tam and tok cik are still around. The family members of the deceased one rarely go back to Muar. I don't see them anymore and it is a waste not to know your own distant relatives. Maybe , some families would keep track but unfortunately nobody in ours took any effort to organize it. The PARIT SETONGKAT clan !!

I do however still go for raya and this year was another "pulun". We return late at night - such a satisfying feat visiting at least 5 families in a day. Tiring but nice in my effort to ensure sillaturrahim. With dzaeffran around this year , it is more meaningful. I pity him though , because it disrupts his feeds and sleeping time;therefore the unusual tantrums that he showed during our visits. But what the heck right? We have to start them early !!

Family togetherness is important. We are losing it bit by bit - with each generation. I want my next generation to understand this concept and apply it so that it'll not dissapear without one realising it.

" Jangan lupa pakai lampin yaaa... "

No comments: