Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Growing up


I was officially a second year post graduate student on the 1st of June. Started off that with a one day break ; haks.. I only knew why i needed the break after enduring my first 2 days on the night shift in the resuscitation zone of the Accident and Emergency department. Although it was just for 10 hours ( 10pm - 8am ) It was ONE HELL of a shift !!!!

Remember scenes from ER where the patient pushed in by paramedics or the ambulance , and doctors with nurses rushing to them ? Well , imagine now not doctors.. but ONLY me the doctor attaining the patient! Yes , there is only one doctor stationed in the resus area and because I am from the Anesthesia team - I am expected to be competent enough to provide the immediate acute care ! A challenge which I am trying to take it positively...

I was on my feet the whole of that 10 hours ! haks.. PAtients keep coming in from everywhere. Fresh trauma .. upper GI bleed ... Myocardial Infarction.. Intracerebral bleed... you name it ! I've learned more management of trauma in the last 2 nights alone !! These unfortunate ones ; they sometimes arrive at the same time ; thus forcing me to do 2ndary triage and attend which was more urgent. I was totally flabbergasted I must say !! haks !! It was in a way ..hmm.. ( macam psycho pulak bagitau macam ni ) ..chaotic fun... heks at the same time , stressing your heart and mind so much that immediately after the shift you feel so much weight relieved !!!

Saturday night was the ACS ( Acut Coronary Syndrome ) night... and Sunday night was Hari APO ( Acute Pulmonary Oedema ) day... hahahaha.. and the nurses are labelling me as the "jonah" who needs to "mandi bunga" !!! hahahaha...

5 comments:

sina said...

oh dr m!! I don't know that you're related to the simpsons... :)
i just love their dysfunctional family - not your family, i am sure!

mafeitz said...

Hahahahaha !! I adore them too !!
Nanti jom la pergi tengok premiere...

TriStupe said...

Jonah? hey, you using this term also ah???

:)

how exciting la your life (and stressful too, dealing with other's life), just remember to get enough rest, if you continue to soldier on alone for the next 3 months with 10 hours at 5 days week, i bet you will lose loads of weight!

Nav said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nav said...

Hey Mafeitz ... it's Nav here ..from IMU. I was your leftback in the M2/98 football team :)

Apa khabar kawan? ... lama tak dengar!

Are you doing anaesthetics as well? Cool.

Email me at acacia_avenue@yahoo.com ... would be great to catch up when i come home for hols.

Cheers, Nav.