Monday, July 11, 2005

Sazzy..


the chemistry Posted by Picasa

I guess age has caught me down. I used to be very energetic ; doing nothing during weekends would be something unthinkable. I would plan my weekends well , be it work or pleasure. Nowadays ; it is the opposite that is happening. I've converted to domesticism !! hahahahaha.. well , to be specific ; lying in bed with the air-con full blast ..and just sleep.. wake up.and sleep... aahh.. a very tempting life cycle.. hehehehehe

Well , being posted in the ICU is certainly taking its toll on me. Being on-call in this unit means no sleep for the night. U just can't !! I tried the other day but i was woken up after 20 minutes of nap and the feeling was crap. I had a bad headache sleeping for that very short time with your body knackered. Therefore i told myself , better stay up and do any work that is posssible. If not , go through the case notes of the patients in the ICU ; coz one is expected to know from head to toe on the history and progress of the patient.

Mortality is high in our ICU. Expected la kan !!! Most patients brought in are really bad.. really really bad.. I issued 2 burial permits during my call on Friday. And i had the "honour" to break the bad news to the family members.The first was a 45 year old chinese lady ; in coma for 4 days after having a massive intracranial bleed in an accident ; and the son who drove the car could not accept the fact when i informed him that his mother is no longer in this world. Obviously guilt was high in the list as he was the driver of the unfortunate incident.

It was soothing to see how the second family coping with impending death. A 42 year old mand ; suspected of Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever with multiple organ failure ; had been on the ventilator for more than 1 week ; dialysed for his renal failure ; transfused with 4 cycles of DIVC regime for his bleeing problem , liver was totally out.. and he was living by the ventilator for days. When i informed DIL to the family , family members came in to recite yaasin for the dying man. The whole family was there and it was sad to see such a scene.and at 4.35 am in the morning after we withdrew most of his support ; he passed away. The family took it really well ; considering the sudden state he was in...

I managed to bring in my 54 year old indian lady to the ICU early Saturday morning. I took the referral from the MEdical team for exarcebation of bronchial Asthma. When i saw her she was quite ok but i knew she was going to deteriorate. UNfortunately there was no bed in ICU then. All 16 beds were full. I managed to convince the medical team to bring her to CRW for BIPAP. We brought her there but it was not really helping . One would expect with her irritating and annoying attitude ; obviously she got worse. BIPAP did not help and her chest went really bad ! almost up to the stage of going silent. I intubated her in CRW.. haks.. that was a heart stopping moment as it was not easy having untrained staff around you. But her condition was bad even with the ventilator. She needed ICU care as the CRW staff was not up to mark !! haks.. when the previous patient mentioned died , i arranged this patient to be transfered. Thats how it goes here ; the fast turnover of ill patients...

I was totally out on Saturday ; slept like a dog when i arrived back home. went for my weekly locum and slept again when i reached home. Sunday morning was an agony. I was so tired that i refused to get out of bed till about 11am. Still my body was aching and i was not feeling hungry. I was suppose to play footie in the afternoon but i was to jaded to do that !! haks.. but at night , i managed to convince myself to watch Mr & Mrs Smith in the new GSC screen in 1 Utama. It was worth it .. the seats were kewl , the sound was spectacular and the movie was good.. Angelina Jolie was really HOT !! haks.. patut pun ek Abang BRAD.... hehehehhheehehehe

1 comment:

Azad said...

Dr T, it would be wonderful if you could talkin "La Ila Ha Ill Allah" to the dying patients, regardless of religion. :)