Monday, July 18, 2005

Superman


the expanding badminton enthusiasts Posted by Picasa

Just woke up from my sleep .Still groggy.. HAks.. arrived home at about 3 pm after having lunch in KLCC with wifey. Yummy gak Chilli's steak coz i just crashed when i reached home.

Being on-call on Sunday was really tiring. My knees were screaming when we were doing night rounds at 9pm. On weekends , only 2 person will be doing all the work in ICU including seeing referrals. Yesterday , it was just me and aktar covering the whole HKL. On working days , they'll be 7 of us ; so having a good team like i am having now ; the one on-calls will be "rested" during the day while the others will slug it off. But usually , its all the same ; just that during the day the on-call doctors wont do any outside referral.

I wanted to visit a friend who is currently in the neuromedical ward who is down with myaesthenia crisis. He is due for wedding this weekend !!! According to his fiance ( this was thru her blog lar.. ) he is recovering and the wedding should go on as planned. Due to my hecticness during the day , though the ward was just one stairs down , I WAS NOT ABLE TO VISIT !! haks.. by the time i was relatively free ; it was at 2 am.. and i dont think it was a good time to visit !!!

I'll be on again tomorrow and will be missing my weekly badminton session. sob..sob.. Tuesday nights had always been fun and i will truly miss tomorrow night. As you can see from the picture above ; the gang is expanding and i just dunno how we've got into this kampung thingy of snatching a pic after every session !! haks.. but its cool aahh...


tarik nite post meetin Posted by Picasa

Yesterday's call was busy throughout the day but it was very "cool" during the night. All 17 beds were full with really ill patients and we were not able to admit anybody in.Though it seemed to be less work , but having to monitor closely the ill patients were tough as well. Every 10-30 minutes the nurses will alert me about the immediate problem.. and as if i know what to do !! haks.. belasah jer la to the best of my knowledge.

To make things worse ; the whole CIS system was down. I was not able to access previous notes and progress which was really annoying. This was the second time ; just like the weekend before. I just wonder , things can just muck up when wthe computer fails. So back to paper charting which in a way was WAY MUCH convenient.

There were no portable ventilators available most of the time ; and had to make decisions with the primary team regarding intubation and ventilation. I intubated 4 patients all around HKL ; there was this 1 12 year old girl in the Nephro ward which made my heart really sink!! haks.. She was a known SLE with renal failure and currently having cerebral vein thrombosis which made her fit vigorously. She was referred for ventilation ; cerebral protection. Her airway seemed ok and i was maybe a bit TOO CONFIDENT. And intubating in the wards in Malaysia is NOT REALLY THE IDEAL PLACE to do it. The staff are not really well trained and you just had to go on !! I failed to push the tube in , it was clear cut Cormack -Lehane GRADE I .. somehow the tube was slipping off the cord to the oesophagus each time. She desaturated few times , but i had just to go on and do it.. No help was really available and i was the "anaes"!! Kena buat jer ahh !! My blues were wet with sweat while intubating. I managed to intubate anyway ; eventhough it was a bit unconventional! But my jantung was reaaally.. reallly.. cam .. damn.. SUCH Adrenaline rush!!!.. So far she's ok.. and no complications post intubation.

I'll be seeing the UiTM faculty member on Wednesday post call. I need to know the details about my future post and the programme i am taking. Insya_Allah . i reckon i will be for the next batch of Masters but i guess i just need to be real clear about how to go about it...

p/s Sorry guys.. kena miss esok nyer fukuls...

2 comments:

scrubber said...

i am with u superman. You'll need higher adrenaline dose as you plant your roots into anaes. Wa caya la lu ( the only other anaes blog i know..)

mafeitz said...

thanx naj !! It's the rush which interests me in the first place.. but sometimes..overdose aah..