Monday, March 31, 2008

KLIM2008 experience

I woke up at 4 am , ate my power bar and went straight of to Edrin's place. Called him when i arrived at his apartment and he certainly missed the alarm! Luckily i was early , so i was able to wait for him to get ready without being tight up. We parked the car near the Tang Ling famous nasi lemak stall area ; quite a distance away to walk to Dataran but it has been our tradition to park there !

I was alone to do the 21k. I had to do itl this year as I am not getting any younger. One is considered to be Men Junior Veteran after 35 ! I trained hard therefore I was confident that I would be able to finish the race . There was no time limit set because all I wanted is to just complete the run and not end up as a DNF. 3 hours and 30 minutes seemed quite impossible after my recce the night before.
The crowd was exhilarating ! It was really happening to see lots of runners preying around , getting ready at 5.30 in the morning. I was a bit embarrassed by my physique when seeing other participants. Everybody looked professional and experienced and there I was , a 21k wannabe lining up to start the race of his life.

Adrenaline was pumping hard and when the clock strike 6 , I was on the go. I focussed and concentrated on my own pace ; refusing to bother the crowd around me. I was jogging slowly , maintaining my speed and just proceed!It was also the azan when we started and I managed to stop by the roadside and fulfill my prayers. Of course, it was still early in the race when my tummy felt uneasy ! I can't remember which hotel it was , ( along Jalan Syed Putra ) but it was nice of the captain to allow me using his toilet !! HAHAHAHA
I was still running constantly on reaching the 5km mark , did not feel tired nor having any pain. Hmm..that is good i thought. arrived at Mid Valley just before 7am and the route took its turn towards the Seremban - KL highway. The route wa a bit up-sloping , so i decided not to force myself so much ; hey my objective ws just to finish the race ! It was indeed a long stretch to checkpoint 10km as we had to pass the Sungai Besi Airforce base ; threading beside the Smart Tunnel .
I was alright until 10k because i ran very slowly. I had few uncles running with me in my "group" , they were my pacers !! haahaha Was looking forward to tag along the sexy gym trainers but obviously my meeting point with them was only at the starting point !!!
I continued my pace , walk and run intermittently with my mind focusing to not feel any pain if there was any. I was ok till the 16K mark when i felt a bit crampy.. hmmm.. I was not panting ; but the lactic acid was certainly accumulating.
When i arrived at the 20k mark , Azad gave me a call asking my whereabouts. To my surprise , I was on course to run within the qualifying time !! Ohh.. a sudden surge of energy came ( along with my Powerbar Gel la.. ) and i was so motivated to run hard till the finish line. Of course, it was at this juncture that i was beginning to feel the strain and my feet suddenly felt blistered.
Ahhh.. mind games i thought ! The body is trying to influence my mind at this point ! I told myself, i can do it because its up to one's willpower now !

As soon as Dataran was in sight, i sped up ! Damn... it felt really good. All the things that bothered me in the last 1km disappeared and I was so motivated to finish it in style ! It felt so good.. o good ! Alhamdulillah ! Such happiness to see myself crossing the finish line within the 3 hours and 30 minutes and I was not tired !! Waaaahhh... best !!!! Getting the finisher's medal was such satisfaction and I was like a small kid ; wearing it around my neck until it was time to go home !!


the group

Azman the blogger !!
Alhamdulillah it went smoothly and I did not have my usual cramps on runs such as this ! I was OK after the 21k torture . The Celebrex may have had a factor in ensuring I was able to endure any expected pain !! Waah... i made it , nothing is impossible and my marathon attempt might be sooner than i thought !

Official time : 3 hours 13.01
Chip time : 3 hours 11.39

( not that fast though for some , but to me.. AN ACHIEVEMENT !!! )

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dr Mafeitz

Congratulation !
You did it !!!
so full of spirit and youy are inspiring me to exercise more for a good health

Anonymous said...

Congrats Dr M!

Anonymous said...

congratulation!..sure your junior will follow soon.

mafeitz said...

toche..toche...
Semua mesti cuba benda ni.. memang puas hati !!

Erdayu said...

woohoo..!! congrats..!
pakai merah kuning pulak tu ;)

Azad said...

Tahniah! Will definitely join you for the 21k next year.

Spena said...

Congrats! Nothing is impossible! Cayalah !