Sunday, June 29, 2008

In their shoes


One of my colleague in Anaesthesia underwent an operation yesterday during my call yesterday. It was not really emergency but he had a special hand surgeon from Singapore to operate him. Apparently , the Consultants in Malaysia were not very familiar on ways to manage his injury surgically. After few months of conservative treatment , my colleague was still in pain and he had problems mobilizing his hand. However , for the surgeon in Singapore it was something that he does best and he in fact made the operation a learning session for our hand surgeons here in Malaysia. My colleague underwent regional block which means that he was fairly awake during the procedure. Hmm..scary..

patient's view when ventilated
Then , as I was lying on my bed in my crash room ; i realized that the room used to be one of the ICU beds used. We had patients in here before and of course , the story that comes with it. It can be freaky for few but when you are tired usually you don't think too much about it. Patients always complain about a creature aka "cicakman" lurking in the toilet in that room but of course , I try not to think about it !! Hahahaha .. But as i was lying on the bed , I was imagining ; patient's thought , views , experience , fear of the unexpected while lying helplessly ill on the bed..

patient's view when he turns his head to the right

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a strange feeling to be a patient by yourself when you are dealing with uncountavble number of patient in your day to day practise.

Well, i like that pic. it shows off some fear out of me. he..he...