Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Continuous learning

They called me the "chosen one"... hahaha..

I am no Mourinho but Prof Lucy specifically chose me to help her start the Trauma Centre OT( Operating Theatre ) . She is my supervisor anyway so I complied . However , I was keen as well to be a part of the pioneering team of the so called "new-OT".The OT has been there since the inception of the TRAUMA CENTRE but the usage never took off. There were so many reasons for the OT not to run , from technical glitches to manpower issues. I never thought I would see the OT running in my short stay in UMMC but hey.. we are actually progressing !!
Surgeons and Anaesthetists are always thought as the main personnels in OT , NB the Surgeons will always regard themselves as THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN OT... hahahaha However , one must not disregard the nurses and supporting staff as the backbone and soul of operations. It was only until these few days that I realized that the main person who is legally responsible for patient's safety in OT is the Aanesthetist. No wonder Prof was a bit obsessive and compulsive while running through the OT protocols.


There were so many things to consider ; and while doing this i finally understood why the first few chapters in any Anaesthesia textbook important ! I guess its only when you do the things yourself , you find the significance and relevance. Otherwise , how do you find the topic : Medical gas supply , OT machine , Electrical safety etc as topics that you can read without going to sleep?
I certainly renewed my knowledge about the physical aspect of OT while following the technicians and engineers exploring places where no Anaesthetist has gone before !
We've done all our checks , our drills and Prof managed to "force" me to understand my Aestiva 5 machine inside out. ( good for my Part 2 ). And tomorrow will be the day we will start our GA cases in this satellite OT.

No comments: