Thursday, July 17, 2008

Its not easy..


I was just about to begin my session with the Neuro ICU nurses , when my phone rang. The Sister in charge was keen for me to give a talk or two regarding ICU topics to her nurses. I have no problem sharing what i know , so it was not something i don't like to do !!
Anyway back to the story ; my Neurosurgery colleague asked for my help from the CT scan room. Apparently the little boy could not sit still and was very agitated. What do you expect from a 3 year old going through the CT scanner ? My colleague has given enough midazolam and he didn't know what to do next.
Of course , ketamine is the next best choice but only anaesthetists can have access and administer it. I had to abandon my "class" for a while and went down to give a hand.
To my surprise , both the parents were my counterparts from other departments and i know them well. And only that, it triggered me ; we had discussed the young boy's brain CT scan in the ward. There is a big mass in the brain discovered ; and it was only the day before that this fact was known. Masya Allah.. I was a bit stunned because the picture is not convincing ! But i continued to smile and calm their little precious one down with my "magic" drug..
Honestly , i cannot imagine being in their shoes. Having your child growing well , no problems or whatsoever. Suddenly , presented with a short history which seemed like what any other normal child would. Wham.. a smack in the head when imaging investigation showed your child having a brain tumour. I had a bad experience with a previous child ( a doctor's son too ) with a similar pattern and it did not produce a happy ending.
My prayers for your child and hopefully any intervention in the future would be in the best interest of the child.. Insya Allah..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

kepada ibu bapa tersebut, Wani doakan agar tabah dan bersabar dengan ujianNya.
kepada Dr Mafeitz, moga rawatan dan sentuhan dr beri keredaan kepada anak tersebut.

ps: dr check email tak ?

Wani

mafeitz said...

jgn marah aa...