Sunday, July 27, 2008

Duathlon rookie..

I managed to complete MUDS in UM ! Thank you MALAKOFF !! It was my first ever action in multidisciplinary sport . This was my first ever competitive biking . I guess , in the true spirit of being an IRONMAN one day , this is indeed a small step towards a brighter future.. ( Obama style of oratory.. hahaha ) Azad , Ruslan and the TALISMAN gang was there early. I managed to bump into Sharil ( AKA Cip ) on Friday during registration. It was good to meet up with your former mates and to know that we still do these crazy things to push ourselves ! Azman was also there with his friends and the usual fit athletes suspects ; who i've seen them in several runs this year.

The usual suspects.. plus Sharil ..
The 3.5 km run then 14.5km biking and another 3.5km run course in UM was excellent. I had no problems with the run but the biking.. my god.. the hill as we begin biking was a killer ! Mencanak habis !! hahahaha.. And having to go three rounds with that obstacle in mind was a challenge for a rookie like me. Luckily I did try the trail 2 days before and I've set my mind about what I was to face. It is not about the effort because i know I can stand and recollect my breaths ; but whether my thighs could sustain the strain and not cramp.
We started off at 9 just in front of UM's Pusat Sukan. Those who were going for the medals really ran their lungs out. It was tempting to try and follow them but my experience in previous runs made me just to focus on my own run ! I just wanna finish unscathed and that is enough !
After the 2 rounds around Rimba ilmu , it was then time for the bike. When i arrived at the biking station , most of the bikes were already gone and it was not difficult to spot my orange bike!
BUKIT CINTA was a killer. i had my maximum gear on when climbing the steep hill. Mak aaii... it was just pure determination that pushed me to arrive at the top. Each time i thought of ..hmm.. next round i will just push my bike up ; maybe its faster. Somehow , i managed to convince myself that i can still push myself.. and Alhamdulillah , i did not touch the ground while cycling up the hill on those 3 rounds ! PUAS HATI !!! The downhill post hill climbing was really good because it was pure cruising at top speed ! Never mind the fit ladies who passed me during the hill climb though it was "that ego" which spurred me to stay put on my bike !!!
The run after the biking felt a bit funny. Oh yeah , i forgot to mention ; I bought new cycling tights which had paddings ; as it was important because of the trauma i had during my practice run. It can be really painful on your bicycle seat for more than 1 hour ! Back to the story.. it felt a bit funny after the biking ; lari mcm ORANG KENGKANG !! Hahahaha.. Glad nobody took any pics of me like that because it can really look silly !!
And YES !! finished the race without any serious injury ! Of course , towards the end i did feel a bit of pull here and there but i manage to control it and let it settle down. YES !! PUAS HATI... and it felt really good when you cross the finish line !
Of course , there was no way i could get myself in the top 10 but i am glad i did the thingy. Never mind being oncall straight away after the race.. HAHAHAHA Memang kerja gila ! I was a bit knackered in the OT after that but it was worth it bro... really worth it ! My thousand thanx to the organizers... :)

in the transition station before the race with my T bolt

berjaya kita berjaya !!

The PROTON T Bolt team..

Ultra team.. hahaha janji sampai !!

Azman... you rock bro !!

3 comments:

Azman said...

That last picture tu: Compact monitor vs wide screen tv. Haha.

Bravo Doc! You didn't dismount the bike on that hantu punya hill. In any book, that is a very big achievement. Kalau turun then tolak basikal tu, actually it's more tiring and a sure morale-killer.

Maybe next time you can try cycling uphill in 'S' pattern. It makes the effective steepness lesser. Tapi kena tengok orang belakang. Takut ada orang bawak laju, kena hentam nanti.

And running in cycling pants, hahaha, it was my first time too. Memang sangat tak selesa.

I guess I should've met your friends yesterday. Maybe we can initiate something for Terry Fox Run for those who want to run in their sarongs. Boleh recruit lagi ramai orang.

Again, congrats Doc Mafeitz. Hope we can meet again in future races.

Azad said...

We are now official fitness freaks! YAY!!!

Next week ada FRIM Rimbathon. Jom masuk?

TriStupe said...

bagus la bro. :) well done! More races to come ok! Aim for Lumut PowerMan!